Breast reduction or reduction mammaplasty removes excess fat, glandular tissue, and skin in the breasts. The procedure can also decrease the size of the areola – the dark skin around the nipple. Excessively large breasts can affect self-esteem, posture, comfort, ability to engage in activities, ability to wear certain clothes, and overall health. Patients often complain of neck, shoulder, and back pain. Often the patient’s bra may leave marks in the skin. A poor arched posture may arise and worsen over time as the shoulders are gradually pulled forward. Due in large part to its ability to immediately relieve symptoms, breast reduction surgery exhibits some of the highest patient satisfaction scores among all procedures performed by plastic surgeons.
Who Is A Candidate
- A healthy, non-smoking (>1 month) patient
- A patient displeased with excessively large breasts
- A patient displeased with breasts which are asymmetric in size
The procedure may be performed under either IV or general anesthesia. The procedure includes the following.
INCISIONS ARE TYPICALLY LOCATED AROUND THE AREOLA IN A CONCENTRIC PATTERN, VERTICALLY DOWN FROM THE AREOLA TO THE BREAST CREASE, AND HORIZONTALLY AT THE BREAST CREASE (THE “ANCHOR” OR “WISE PATTERN” INCISION).
LIPOSUCTION MAY ALSO BE USED AS AN ADJUNCT TO THE PROCEDURE TO MORE THOROUGHLY SCULPT THE REDUCED BREAST AND SURROUNDING TISSUE. DRAINS ARE RARELY USED EXCESS BREAST TISSUE, FAT, AND SKIN ARE EXCISE
- Outpatient surgery
- Results are immediate though breast size will continue to decrease over a period of 4 to 8 weeks after the surgery.
- Pain will vary. Oral pain medicine may be needed for 7 to 10 days.
- A compression bra will be provided and should be worn for 2 weeks. A sports bra may be worn beginning at 2 weeks. A wire bra may not be worn until at least 4 weeks postoperative.
- Drains are rarely placed and if they are they are typically removed in one week.
- All sutures are dissolvable.
- There are no restrictions on daily activity; patients are encouraged to walk. Patients may shower 2 days after surgery. No lifting more than 10 pounds for 2 weeks and patient may drive when narcotic pain medication is necessary. No strenuous activity or heavy lifting for f6 weeks.
- Expect to take 1 to 2 weeks off of work depending on job demands.
- You will be seen in office following surgery at 1 week, 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and after as needed.
before and after The journey to transformation starts with honoring change
Our clients are our number one priority. Galanis Plastic Surgery treats each client with precision, delicacy, consideration, and compassion. That is why our transformations are transcending. Welcome to the Galanis Glow-Up.