No procedure has grown faster over the last 15 years than the “arm lift” or brachioplasty. There has been a nearly 5000% increase in this procedure since 2000 according to the American Society for Plastic Surgery. This surgery addresses extra tissue in the upper arms. Unfortunately diet and exercise are often ineffective at targeting the upper arm. Patients who experience dramatic weight loss are a particular group of patients who often find themselves with difficult-to-address areas of excess skin on the upper arms. The common denominator is patients displeased with the appearance of their arms due to excess skin and/or fat. For many patients, arm lift surgery is the best option.
Who Is A Candidate
- A healthy patient with stable weight over a period of at least 6 months.
- A patient displeased with excess skin and/or fat in the upper arm.
The procedure is performed using IV/conscious sedation or general anesthesia. Depending on the patient’s anatomy, improvements to the upper arm can be made with either direct surgical excision or liposuction alone:
IN CASES OF EXCESS SKIN, AN INCISION IS MADE IN THE INSIDE OF THE UPPER ARM TO BEST CONCEAL ITS APPEARANCE. THE INCISION SIZE DEPENDS ON THE AMOUNT OF SKIN WHICH NEEDS TO BE EXCISED
IN CASES WHERE LIPOSUCTION ALONE CAN ADDRESS THE PATIENT’S CONCERNS, SMALLER INCISIONS YIELD NEARLY IMPERCEPTIBLE SCARS.
- Outpatient surgery.
- Results are immediate in cases of direct excision. If liposuction only is performed, results may take up to 3 months to fully appreciate the effect.
- Pain will vary. Oral pain medicine may be needed for 4 to 7 days.
- A compression garment will be placed and should be worn for 4 weeks after surgery.
- Drains, if placed, will be removed within a week.
- All sutures are dissolvable.
- There are no restrictions on daily activity; patients are encouraged to walk. Patients may shower 2 days after surgery. No lifting more than 10 pounds for 2 weeks, and the patient may drive when narcotic pain medication is necessary. No strenuous activity or heavy lifting for 6 weeks.
- Expect to take 1 week off of work depending on job demands.
- You will be seen in office following surgery at 1 week, 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and after as needed.
before and after The journey to transformation starts with honoring change
Our clients are our number one priority. Galanis Plastic Surgery treats each client with precision, delicacy, consideration, and compassion. That is why our transformations are transcending. Welcome to the Galanis Glow-Up.