Excess sagging facial skin is one of the telltale signs of aging. A facelift, or rhytidectomy, is a cosmetic surgical procedure aimed at reversing these signs. Also known as a necklift, it entails reshaping the lower half of the face by removing excess facial skin. The process tightens loose, hanging skin around the jawline or the jowls, as well as the hanging skin and fat under the chin and in the neck. It also fixes those deep creases around the mouth and nose. The procedure can tighten the underlying tissues, and may be combined with surgery to enhance other areas of the face such as the forehead, cheeks, brows and eyelids. All in all, this results in a more youthful and restored appearance for patients.
Contact us to schedule your consultation today
Who Is A Candidate
- A Healthy, Non-smoking (>1 month) Patient
- A Patient displeased with the aged appearance of his or her face and neck as noted by
The procecedure helps patients with:
- Appearance of jowels
- Deepened nasolabial folds (the lines that run from nose to the side of the lips)
- Loose neck skin or “gooseneck”
- Loss of midface volume
The surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia. Small drains are frequently placed and are usually removed the day after surgery. Depending on the patient’s features, a variety of approaches and techniques are available to the surgeon.
INCISIONS ARE TYPICALLY IMPERCEPTIBLE AND LOCATED IN THE SCALP, NEAR THE EAR, AND UNDERNEATH THE CHIN. GOALS ARE TO TIGHTEN THE UNDERLYING MUSCULAR LAYERS, REMOVE EXCESS SKIN, AND ADDRESS ANY FAT DEPOSITS.
May be combined with other procedures such as (but not limited to):
- Brow Lift
- Eyelid surgery
- Midface or chin augmentation
- Fat grafting
- Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping)
If you would like to learn more about facelift/necklift surgery, please fill out our contact form and we will be happy to assist you! Alternatively, you can call to schedule a consultation to see Dr. Galanis in Beverly Hills at 310-858-8930.
- Outpatient: patients should be watched overnight by a caregiver; arrangements for overnight stays at a specialized facility are often made
- Result: immediate; expect bruising and swelling to persist for 1-2 weeks
- Pain: variable. oral pain medicine may be needed for up to 5-7 days
- Special garment: the head will be wrapped overnight with the wrapping removed postoperative day one. a chin strap which can be concealed with a scarf is then worn for at least 2 weeks
- Suture removal: sutures removed at 5-7 days and others 10-14 days.
- Drain removal: removed the day after surgery
- Activity/Shower/Driving Restriction: no restriction on daily activity. encouraged to walk. may shower 2 days after surgery. no lifting greater than 10 pounds for 2 weeks. may drive when no longer requiring narcotic pain medication. no strenuous activity/heavy lifting for 6 weeks.
- Time off work: expect to require 2 weeks off of work depending on job demands.
- Follow-up: you will be seen the day after surgery and then in office following surgery at 1 week, 2 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months or as needed